Monday, September 12, 2011

Adventures in MOPS

As I walked into the church lobby, I started to sweat. It wasn’t because it was warm out (goodness knows January in Chicago isn’t warm) and it was only partially because I was carrying two babies in their carrier car seats. Mostly, the sweat came from pure, unadulterated nervousness.

After living in our Chicago suburb for six months, three which had been spent caring for our newborn sons, I hardly knew anyone and had no real friends. I was tired, bored, and lonely. Though John had agreed to move back to Wisconsin in a few months, I knew I had to make friends, or at least meet people, if I was going to stay sane. I decided to try out MOPS, since at the very least, I knew I’d get a break from my kiddos.

I didn’t meet my new BFF that year but I did make enough friends that we changed our plans and stayed in the area. The next year, I made a few more friends, this time creating deeper bonds. By the third year of MOPS, I was leading the group and had made deep, life-long, life-changing friendships.

That’s why I love MOPS. Sure, the break from our kids is nice. So are the breakfasts and speakers. But we can find all of those things at a play group or a story time. The difference with MOPS is that we come together, as sisters, living life together. Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12 says “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

Sisters, we are going to fall down and there are going to be days when we feel cold and overpowered. My prayer for each of you is that you find someone to walk with you—someone to come along and help you when times get though, and someone that you can help out too. God’s plan was never for us to walk alone. If you haven't found a MOPS group, do (mops.org). It honestly could change your life. Start walking with someone today. No mom left behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment