Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A rant

I read the following in the most recent issue of American Baby magazine in the "mom to mom" section:

How do you calm your new-parent nerves?
I don't allow myself to get worked up when the baby isn't napping or when I say no to invites every now and then. When you just enjoy life and stop worrying about what you, your kids, or your husband should be doing, it's so much sweeter.
Morgan Dahm,
New Sharon, IA


What a crock of bull. Morgan Dahm, are you honestly trying to tell us that you don't get worked up, overwhelmed, frustrated, etc? You are one of two things--you are either a liar or Jesus because as far as I know, Jesus is the only perfect person to walk the face of the planet.

Frankly, Ms. Dahm, people like you are the reason that women put up walls and aren't real with each other. No one wants to admit to being anything less than the best when faced with someone who is "perfect." Guess what? The most amazing and beautiful women melt down on occasion. I am lucky enough to be surrounded with fantastic mothers. My own mom and mother-in-law are some of the best moms there are. I have two sisters-in-law who have incredibly different personalities (extreme type A and B) and have very different, but equally impressive, parenting styles. I have many, many mommy friends who span all different gaps (age, ethnicity, economic). Every single one of them have had to calm their "new-parent nerves;" they've all been frustrated.

So, Ms. Dahm, I have a request for you. Please, get real. I'm not saying that to be mean or cruel or to make fun of you. I'm saying that for your own good. My guess is that you'll be much more approachable, as well as happier, if you just let your hair down a little and let people see the real you.

And, if I am totally wrong, and you have mastered parenting and you can honestly just let it all go, shut up. The rest of the population really doesn't need to hear how you have it all together. It is just one more reminder to the rest of us that we are, at least sometimes, failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment