Thursday, February 26, 2009

Our first of many Adventures in Poop

Let me start off by saying that I have a horrible gag-reflex. Or, at least I did...but I'll get to that. Here is a short list of things that make me gag: snot, phlegm, poop, vomit, raw chicken, raw meat, puss, and anything that resembles any of the previously stated items. And when I say those things make me gag, I don't mean a nice, polite gag. I mean a full-blown dry-heave. My eyes water, I double over, it's a mess. So, it really isn't shocking that before I had kids, I would get angry (not irritated or annoyed--angry) when people would tell "cute" or "funny" poop stories, especially if I was trying to eat.


That being said, I'm about to tell a poop story.


I was pregnant for 38 weeks with twins. Our boys weren't small. My back hurt, my legs hurt, and I was tired after not getting good sleep from about month 5 on. Although labor wasn't terrible, I still worked really hard to deliver not one, but TWO, babies, one of whom was breech (thank you Patrick). I literally put my blood, sweat, and tears into bringing them into the world.


And, what was the first present I received from my sweet at precious babies? A huge, sticky, smelly, poo right on my bare stomach (again, thank you Patrick).


But here's the crazy thing: I didn't gag. Maybe it was the drugs, maybe I was just too tired, but I don't think it was either of those. I think that something happened to me, sometime between the Pitocin and the epidural. I'm not sure what it was, but my gag-reflex started to die.



Don't get me wrong, I still gag (please believe...you'll get those stories soon enough) and the real test won't be until I have to use that nasty booger-sucker-outer-thingie. But, my first adventure as a mommy was not just an adventure with poop; it was an adventure in growing up. Oh, and an adventure in trying to walk to the bathroom to clean off the poo, only to find out my legs were still numb!

No comments:

Post a Comment